What's in a name?

Raya Abigail Ritter
I was thinking about how weird I was today, and how much I think too much about certain things. For instance, how Jeff and I came up with the name for our little girl. It's all really very logical, -- so my favorite sounds are "s,""l," and "r," -- (do you know anyone else who has favorite sounds? See I'm weird) -- I like the romantic liquid sounds, nothing too abrupt. Anyways I could go on a tangent about how words meanings are derived by the sounds, and how sounds create certain emotions -- which is very similar and can be related to how music evokes emotion -- but once again, who thinks of that stuff? Ok, so I have the first letter picked out -- then we notice that Seth and Levi are both four letters. How fun, we should make our girl have a four letter name as well. There were really only two options, Roxy and Raya. (I have to admit I was stuck on Roxy for a while) I'm also into meanings of names ... Raya means "friend" -- perfect, that's exactly what she'll be for me in my male dominated home :) -- Middle name... I wanted to transition the sound ... so "a" is the last letter in Raya ... "a" should be the first letter in her middle name. "Abigail" -- Jeff and I really liked this name and it means "father is rejoicing" -- which Jeff definitely is. He was so giddy and had the widest grin for days after we found out it was a girl. So Raya Abigail Ritter it is, -- and icing on the cake, Raya Ritter, I love alliteration! Also, I thought that it was kind'of cute to have my little girls name sound like my name... Rachael, Raya, ... I know I'm sick. The madness of the pregnant woman's mind. I'll laugh at this later I know, but that's what this blog record was meant for.

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

I think it's a really pretty name. And so neat what those names mean.

Jen said...

fabulous name! I like sounds too! Now my secret is out haha. R is also one of my favorite sounds. and M. see you aren't wierd. or maybe youre just not the only one who's wierd :)

Kate Clayton said...

I love it too!

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Oh how fun!! I like it too. I also like alliteration that's why named out little girl Kherrington Christensen! See not too far off. and I don't consider myself weird. I think lots of people spend tons of time coming up with names and sometimes they can't even agree on one!! So just be happy that you can pick one out together!!

Alysha said...

That's a pretty cool name, not to mention her initials will be RAR. And it isn't too close to Rachael like Raquel, or Rochelle. Congrats!
PS- I consider myself a nerd of words, Ian likes to tease me about it cause he has to hear all my random comments.

Mrs.Goates said...

Very pretty name... With my obsession with names for my little girl, I thought about names a lot... Isn't ironic how the first thing we say about ourselves, and often the first thing people know about us, is something we don't even choose?

Post a Comment