Good fences make good neighbors

My neighbor towards the back of us recently got a new dog ... an enormous puppy that barks incessantly at the kids.  It's pretty annoying when you take your kids out to play and there's the dog, non stop barking -- there's Seth under the slide with his fingers in his ears, Levi not playing because he is mesmerized with the dog, and Raya freaked out holding onto my leg afraid to move.  Lovely.

My neighbor has recognized the problem, and is trying to train her dog not to bark at the kids (which I appreciate) but now ... we have a barking dog, and a semi-weird lady that comes outside to yell at her dog whenever we're outside wanting to play. Lovely.

I ordered privacy slats for my fence last week, to try and distract the dog a bit, ... probably wont work, but maybe, right?

I was working on the fence and.. big surprise, the dog starts barking, then the lady comes out to yell at the dog.  It's a continuous ... dog: arf-arf  Lady: "No bark!" dog: arf-arf Lady: "No bark!" dog: arf-arf ... over and over... oh my gosh, shoot me now.

Seth is sitting atop the slide and starts conversing with our neighbor, "Do you see our fence?"
Neighbor: "Yah, It looks great!"
Seth with his finger waving at the lady: "It's to keep that dog from barking at us!"
Neighbor: "Yah?"
Seth: "Yah! We don't like that dog barking all the time!"

I freeze. I'm thinking: ((SETH YOU"RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TELL HER!))  Sure she can assume what we're doing, but you're not supposed to say it...

Neighbor: "Well I've been working on my fence too, see:" She indicates the random aligning of assorted dead tree limbs she's been gathering from who knows where.  We thought she might be making a tree fort... or something, we had no idea it was for privacy, because it really, doesn't, work.... at least that mystery is solved though.

 -- Anyways, It was a really funny moment.  I love that boy.  Maybe I should have Seth suggest to our neighbor bringing the dog inside.... genius I know.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wow, that really stinks. I'd hate it too. And good for Seth! Kids tend to be able to say what we won't. Hopefully it'll get better soon!

Starlie and Nate Schmutz said...

I love how honest kids are. We have a neighbor barking dog too, can't stand it. I also loved your description of your neighbors fence, sounds like a winner!

Post a Comment