Poetry Break

1. The Road Not Taken


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 20

I know, everyone has read or heard of this poem. Robert Frost, the "American Poet" -- which I find quite comical, because I think most Americans do not understand his poetry. He is the most misquoted poet I've heard of -- not the words themselves, but the meaning. I admire his sarcasm. To me this poem isn't a poem about great expectations, definitely not something that should be read at highschool graduation, but more of a gloomy poem of uncertainty and regret in a decision made.

First stanza, "yellow wood" -- It's autumn, he's at the fall in his life, the speaker needs to make a decision, and the overall mood of the poem -- physical sounds (o's-- no highpitched i's and a's) themselves are low and full of gravity -- not excitement. The repetitive "And" -- like the speakers fumbling for words, and making excuses.

Here's a clear hint, "I shall be telling this with a sigh" -- hm... Anyways, my interpretation of the poem is that the speaker thinks he made a mistake in his life, that he choose the wrong path. Maybe it's the pessimist in me but I've always read it that way.

Well, I think I've been de-schooled long enough to get back into poetry -- all those monotonous english courses (especially WSU english courses) sure took a wear on me. I've been thinking of this poem today -- just because of all the decisions that Jeff and I are making lately, and I have this poem ringing in the back kind'of as a warning, that I don't want to look back with a "sigh" on the decisions my path will create.

2 comments:

Child of God said...

Interesting take on the poem Rachael. I have never pondered it before, probably because I am in no way an English major. My mother's motto for decisions is: I'm glad I did, instead of I wish I had.

worth reading said...

I think that's a great motto to live by, it's just a waste of time and energy to regret all your mistakes, just love life right? I think this poem is interesting though, .. I think it's in the 3rd stanza -- the speaker hints that he knows that the path he's taking is probably not the best one but takes it anyways, knowing he wont be able to go on the other path. An EXTREME example -- say the speaker had an affair and gave up family life -- I think that might be something anyone would regret later on. As long with regretting whatever choice he made, I think it's a poem about the importance of making wise decisions, and that's really what has been resonating to me at the moment.
We're about to take out a 35,000 loan who wouldn't be nervous about that?!

Post a Comment